• Go Back
Black Raspberries May Thwart Colon Cancer
Black Raspberries May Thwart Colon Cancer.
There is a potentially powerful biological weapon for health -- a mix of compounds suspected of thwarting colon cancer -- hiding deep inside the juicy sweetness of a black raspberry.
And if it can be harnessed, it could play a major role in preventing the second leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States.
In a recent study, rats that were injected with a cancer-causing agent and then fed a berry-rich diet had 80 percent fewer malignant tumors compared to rats that had no berries in their diet.
For years, scientists have touted the health benefits of eating fruits and vegetables.
They're only now starting to gain an understanding of what compounds give certain foods a healthful edge.
Black raspberries are rich in several substances thought to have cancer-preventing properties, said Gary Stoner, a study co-author and a professor of public health at Ohio State University. Stoner is also a researcher at the university's Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Such substances are called antioxidants. The researchers also compared the antioxidant activity of black raspberries to that of blueberries and strawberries, two fruits with suspected chemopreventive effects.
Black raspberries prevailed in the comparison by as much as 40 percent.
"We were surprised by how much difference there was between the antioxidant activity of the raspberries vs. the other fruits," Stoner said.
The research appears in the current issue of the journal Nutrition and Cancer.
Rats were injected with azoxymethane (AOM), a carcinogen that causes colon tumors.
After two weeks of exposure to AOM, the animals were placed into four groups and fed diets mixed with 0, 2.5, 5 or 10 percent freeze-dried black raspberries.
Two additional groups of rats, which did not receive AOM, served as controls. The two latter groups were fed a diet containing 0 or 5 percent freeze-dried black raspberries, respectively.
Nine weeks after the final injection of AOM, researchers looked for the development of tiny lesions in the colon called aberrant crypt foci (ACF).
Although ACF rarely occur in humans, the lesions can develop into polyps in rats. In humans, polyps are benign masses of tissue which, if left untreated, could develop into malignant tumors.
Every rat injected with the carcinogen AOM developed the ACF lesions. While most of these lesions go away on their own, Stoner said, some may eventually develop into malignant tumors.
In rats fed diets supplemented with black raspberries, the number of malignant tumors seemed to correspond with the amount of freeze-dried berries fed to a rat -- the more berries a rat ate, the fewer tumors it had.
At the end of the study, the prevalence of adenocarcinomas -- or malignant tumors -- was reduced by 80 percent in the rats that ate the most black raspberries in their diets.
"That's a much higher reduction than I thought we'd see," Stoner said.
Adenocarcinomas were reduced by 28 and 35 percent, respectively, in the groups eating diets of 2.5 and 5 percent black raspberries.
This reduction is based on the average number of tumors found in rats that had been injected with AOM and fed a berry-free diet.
The tumors were smaller in the rats that ate freeze-dried berries -- diets of 2.5, 5 and 10 percent yielded reductions in tumor size of 28, 42 and 75 percent, respectively, when compared to the animals not fed the berries.
The researchers also measured urinary levels of 8-OHdG -- a compound that is related to the degree of oxidative damage in the body. The process of oxidation produces free radicals, which can damage cells as well as genetic material. Free radicals are thought to play a role in the onset of cancer.
Berries reduced the level of 8-OHdG in the urine by 73, 81 and 83 percent in the 2.5, 5 and 10 percent berry diets, respectively.
"This suggests that berries bind up a good portion of free radicals, preventing them from causing damage in the body," Stoner said.
In addition to measuring the levels of some of these chemopreventive compounds, Stoner and his colleagues compared the antioxidant activity of the black raspberries to that of strawberries and blueberries.
Previous studies suggested that these two fruits had antioxidant activity superior to that of other fruits commonly eaten in the United States, but researchers had not studied black raspberries.
Using a device that measured each fruit's ability to absorb free radicals, the researchers found that black raspberries topped the charts: these berries exhibited 11 percent more antioxidant activity than did blueberries and 40 percent more than strawberries.
One reason for the raspberries' seemingly stellar health advantage may be their richness in compounds such as anthocyanins, which give berries their almost-black pigment; phenols, such as ellagic, coumaric and ferulic acid; calcium; and vitamins such as A, C, E and folic acid.
All of these substances are known chemopreventive agents, Stoner said.
Fresh black raspberries are undoubtedly beneficial, but they are also expensive and can be hard to come by. Freeze-dried berries have as much nutritional content as fresh berries do, but the freeze-dried version isn't readily available to consumers, Stoner said. He tells people to hold off on getting discouraged, though.
"The results of this study would translate in humans to eating two large bowls -- or four cups -- of fresh black raspberries each day," he said.
"That may seem a bit extreme. People need to know that these animals are given whopping doses of a carcinogen. It's conceivable that a much lower dose would be effective in humans."
It's also good to keep in mind that the National Cancer Institute continues to recommend four to six helpings of fruits and vegetables each day. "We're just suggesting that people make one of those helpings berries," Stoner said.
The research was supported in part by a grant from the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
Stoner conducted the research with Ashok Gupta, Ronald Nines, Laura Kresty, Wendy Frankel, Suzy Habib, Krista La Perle and professor of food science and nutrition Steven Schwartz, all with Ohio State; Gabriel Harris of the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health in Morgantown, W. Va.; and Daniel Gallaher of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
May 2, 2002
- Liver Flush - Quackery or Valuable Remedy Apr 18
- Exercise reduces cancer risk Oct 22
- Sauerkraut packed with cancer-fighting compounds Oct 22
- The Breast Cancer Awareness Month Story Oct 03
- New concerns over breast screening Sep 25
- Are we overlooking the obvious in cancer prevention? Sep 15
- HOW TO LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL Aug 30
- When Healing Becomes a Crime Jul 29
- Hospitalization Can Traumatize a Child Jun 15
- My husband's full recovery from lung tumor and massive heart attack without drugs/chemo/surgery Jun 07
- How I achieved optimum health after a lifetime of suffering Jun 07
- This is what you will bring into your life May 29
- Most Women Satisfied With Having Their Healthy Breasts Removed May 28
- Insulin and Estrogen linked to Breast Cancer May 28
- Hormone Replacement Casually Related to Breast Cancer May 28
- Pesticides Increase Breast Cancer Risk May 28
- Healthy Women Having Their Breasts Removed May 28
- Unnecessary Mastectomies May 28
- Broccoli sprouts kill helicobacter pylori May 28
- Pesticides and the Immune System: The Public Health Risks May 23
- Experiments Strengthen Link Between Fish Oil, Mental Problems May 21
- An interview with Sue Best whose son Billy is over 7 years cancer free May 21
- Raw Eating - A book by A.T. Hovannessian (Aterhov) May 21
- Do Killer Microbes Cause Breast Cancer? May 15
- Fluoride and Aluminum - toxic combination of fluoroaluminum complex May 15
- The Nocebo Effect: Placebo's Evil Twin May 15
- HYPERTHERMIA - The "COLD SHEET" Treatment May 05
- Ailments & Herbal remedies - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Incurables Program - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Herbal Formulas - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Patient Handbook - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Black Raspberries Thwart Colon Cancer May 03
- Excitotoxins - MSG and Aspartame May 03
- Mercury fillings are affecting dentists May 01
- Ulcer surgery linked to risk of pancreatic cancer Apr 30
- British group says patients can refuse treatment Apr 30
- Minnesota - the first US State to offer Freedom of Choice Apr 30
- The Signs of Inner Peace Apr 30
- Patients Turn to Nutrition to Help in War on Cancer Apr 30
- WHO announces urgent meeting on new food cancer scare Apr 29
- Hudfletter forskerne som slo kreftalarm Apr 27
- A Simple Guide To Herbs Apr 26
- Akrylamid-listen Apr 26
- Kreftalarm etter giftfunn i mat Apr 26
- Cooked tomatoes 'better for you than raw' Apr 26
- Cancer expert exposes sunbed 'danger' Apr 26
- Understanding the Healing Crisis Apr 25
- Cut Bowel Cancer Risk by Eating Less, Better: Study Apr 25
- UPDATE 3-Crisps, french fries, bread may cause cancer-study Apr 25
- Swedish Study of Food and Cancer Rings Alarm Bells Apr 24
- Cancer Risk Found in French Fries, Bread Apr 24
- First 20 Years in Life Key to Cancer Risk Apr 24
- Make-Up Holds Hidden Danger of Cancer Apr 24
- Beans and Peas Can Cut Heart Disease Risk Dec 15
Back To Top
Donate to CureZone
Ads from CureZone Sponsors|
Hulda Clark Cleanse Kits
New Lower Prices!!!
Oxy-Powder® Colon Cleansing
Fastest and Easiest Cleanse with Powder in a capsule.
Smallest Zapper $15
Original Hulda Clark Design
Sea Kelp $15
Organic Iceland Kelp, natural source of Iodine and other essential minerals.
High Blood Pressure?
3 easy exercises drop blood pressure below 120/80 as soon as today
Detoxify and Cleanse Naturally
Drink ionized alkaline waters medically proven health benefi...
Yeast, Thrush, Candida?
Threelac can help you get relief - In just days. Wholesale pricing!
Fact: Cancer Can Be Cured With Quercetin + Vitamin C For Only 6 Dollars!
Information on the revolutionary Dynamiclear Combat Kit
Oxy-Powder® Colon Cleanse
Top Rated Natural Oxygen Cleanse. Best Product Line by NaturalNew...
Purest Body Products
No solvents, no heavy metals, organic, vegan, no animal testing
Medically research anti-diabetic effects
Electrolyzed drinking water significantly reduces ...
Proven Candida Diet
The Only Legitimate Diet for Treating Candida in 30 Days
Possibly millions are living within you right now!
Anti Cancer Medical Effect
Medical researchers confirm electrolyzed reduced water protects ...
The Famous Master Cleanse
For the first time ever, we have created the complete master clea...
Proven Parasite Diet
The Only Legitimate Diet for Destroying Parasites in 30 Days or Less
Clarkia Extra Strong $22
Black Walnut, Cloves & Wormwood, original Hulda Clark parasites cl...
Treat Your Candida!
Dr. Eric Bakker Candida Crusher Program To Kill Candida Yeast Forever. ...
Powerful Candida Treatment
Dr. Eric Bakker’s Powerful Candida Crusher Program. Get Your Cop...
Bad Breath Cure, Halitosis Remedy
Dr. Anthony Dailley has 98% success rate.
Cancer’s Natural Enemy
Rose Laurel OPC Plus, 15% discount with Cure Zone Discount Code of L...
Natural Cancer Remedies
Natural Cancer Remedies
Cell Phone Radiation!
World Helath Organization Calls Cell Phone Radiation a Carcinogen! La...
No More Yeast!
Get a risk-free 40-day trial of the product that has revolutionized how peop...
Bad Breath Cure, Bad Breath Treatment, How To Cure
Bad Breath Cure, Bad Breath Treatment, H...
Amazing Oleander-Based Skin Cream
The best ever age defying skin cream for wrinkles and une...
Tired of feeling like “shit”?
Health and sickness begin in the mind and physically in the c...
Lugol’s Iodine Free S&H
J.Crow’s® Lugol’s Iodine Solution. Restore lost reserves.
The Tesla Shield®
Transformational Technology For Mind Body And Soul.
Become a Sponsor