• Go Back
Want a Healthy Heart? Drink Water
Drinking Lots of Water Lowers Heart Attack Risk
Want a Healthy Heart? Drink Water
By Jennifer Warner
May 13, 2002 -- Still not drinking the recommended eight glasses of water a day? Here's one more healthy reason to start. Staying hydrated may protect your heart and reduce the risk of heart attack.
A new study shows people who drank more than five glasses of water each day were less likely to die from a heart attack than those who drank fewer than two glasses a day.
Researchers at Loma Linda University in California studied more than 20,000 healthy men and women aged 38 to 100 for six years. The study appears in the May 1 American Journal of Epidemiology.
They found women who drank more than five glasses of water a day were 41% less likely to die from a heart attack during the study period than those who drank less than two glasses. The protective effect of water was even greater in men. Men who drank more water had a 54% lower risk of a fatal heart attack.
But not all liquids were equal. When researchers included the consumption of other liquids such as coffee, tea, juice, milk, and alcohol, the risk of heart attack increased. Women who drank large amounts of liquids other than water were more than twice as likely to die of a heart attack, and non-water drinking men had a 46% increase in risk.
Researchers say when people drink water it is absorbed quickly and easily into the bloodstream and thins the blood -- helping to prevent artery-clogging clots. But other liquids require digestion, which may require fluids to move from the blood into the gut -- creating a blood-thickening effect.
© 2002 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.
- Liver Flush - Quackery or Valuable Remedy Apr 18
- HOW TO LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL Aug 30
- New cholesterol guidelines for converting healthy people into patients Jun 15
- The Cholesterol Myths Jun 15
- My husband's full recovery from lung tumor and massive heart attack without drugs/chemo/surgery Jun 07
- Hospital Drug-Error Trends Continue May 29
- This is what you will bring into your life May 29
- Raw Eating - A book by A.T. Hovannessian (Aterhov) May 21
- Caffeine, even in small doses, may hurt arteries May 18
- Want a Healthy Heart? Drink Water May 16
- Fluoride and Aluminum - toxic combination of fluoroaluminum complex May 15
- The Nocebo Effect: Placebo's Evil Twin May 15
- HYPERTHERMIA - The "COLD SHEET" Treatment May 05
- Ailments & Herbal remedies - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Incurables Program - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Herbal Formulas - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Patient Handbook - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Study: Folk remedy used in India cuts cholesterol May 03
- Excitotoxins - MSG and Aspartame May 03
- Exercise Can Lower Risk of Death from Stroke May 01
- Mercury fillings are affecting dentists May 01
- British group says patients can refuse treatment Apr 30
- Minnesota - the first US State to offer Freedom of Choice Apr 30
- The Signs of Inner Peace Apr 30
- WHO announces urgent meeting on new food cancer scare Apr 29
- A Simple Guide To Herbs Apr 26
- Cooked tomatoes 'better for you than raw' Apr 26
- Angry Young Men At Greater Risk Of Heart Disease Apr 26
- Dr. Atkins suffered cardiac arrest Apr 25
- Understanding the Healing Crisis Apr 25
- Virgin Olive Oil May Reduce Cholesterol Damage Apr 24
- Fish Oil Cuts Risk of Sudden Death Apr 24
- Beans and Peas Can Cut Heart Disease Risk Dec 15
Back To Top
Donate to CureZone