BEC5 contains a specially purified plant extract from the Solanum Sodomaeum, the so-called Devil's apple- which is found in the Australasia region. The extract, known as Solasodine Glycosides, (0.005%) is also found in smaller quantities in the eggplant and aubergine.
After two decades of research and clinical trials, biochemist, Dr. Bill E. Cham, has discovered that BEC5 when applied topically can eradicate non-melanoma skin cancers, specifically:
Curaderm / BEC5 cream has also been shown to be efficacious with benign tumours, including:
- Sun spots
- Age spots
Numerous clinical trials in Australia and Great Britain have confirmed BEC5's ability to regress non-melanoma skin cancers. In one open study with 72 patients, treatment with BEC5 cream resulted in the regression of all treated lesions (56 actinic keratoses, 39 BCCs and 29 SCCs), with 100% healed after 1 to 13 weeks of treatment.
Recent trials in 10 UK hospitals found that a twice daily topical application of BEC5 cream to the affected areas gave a complete remission to 78% of the patients within 8-weeks. The remaining 22% of patients had also improved and needed longer treatment times, all this was made possible without chemotherapy, radiotherapy or surgery.
The dermatologists at the Royal London Hospital concluded that: "BEC5 is a topical preparation which is safe and effective, an ideal therapy for outpatient treatment... It is a cost effective treatment for both primary and secondary skin cancer care."
Furthermore, the histological analyses of biopsies taken before, during and after treatment give compelling evidence of the continuing efficacy of BEC5 because treated skin cancer lesions have not recurred for at least 5 years after cessation of therapy.
BEC5 cream is therefore recommended to be used to treat areas of the skin that may have become discoloured, thickened or scaly as a result of exposure to sun (UV) light. These areas of the skin are known as keratoses. BEC5 cream is effective to treat true malignant skin cancers such as the non-melanoma basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. To date, it is estimated that more than 80,000 people have used BEC5 and shown below are just some of the results achieved with BEC5 cream:
BEC5 works because it contains a plant sugar called rhamnose, (which is not usually found in mammalian species). Specific endogenous lectins, (which are receptors for the sugar part of the glycoalkaloids) are present in the plasma membranes of susceptible cancer cells, but they not present in normal cells. Therefore BEC5 recognizes and binds the sugar rhamnose of the glycoalkaloid to the cancer cell. Subsequently, this enters the cancer cell and causes cell death by destroying the lysosome.
Side effects to date have been limited to skin reddening, although during treatment erosion, ulceration and shedding of unwanted skin cells is also likely to take place.
Clean the area to be treated with a mild antiseptic to remove old skin cells. BEC5 should be applied relatively thickly to the area at least twice daily and a micro pore placed over the area. The eyes should be avoided. If any excess occurs, wash and wipe away with cold water. Application should continue for a minimum of 7 days and a maximum of 60 days, this time dependant upon the size, need and regularity of application.
BEC5 should not be applied to moles and melanomas. Furthermore, BEC5 should not be used by persons who are allergic to eggplant or aspirin. For full details please see the approved use leaflet below.
A 20 ml. bottle of BEC5 can provide enough material to treat one large skin cancer, two medium sized ones, six small ones or twelve sun spots.
Apart from the need to treat cancer, BEC5's efficacy to help remove and protect against sun spots represents a major step forward in the prevention and "control" of skin cancers. Its ease of use, cost effectiveness, proven efficacy and safety all represent a very significant breakthrough for majority of skin carcinomas, which are by far the most common forms of cancer.