It is all a matter of concentration.
Bleaching occurs when the concentration exceeds about 1000 PPM free chlorine dioxide. When you activate a dose of MMS
, you end up with a concentration of about 26880 PPM free chlorine dioxide. This is why the proper dilution is so important.
Jim Humble several times in his book talks about only needing a dose with 1 PPM free chlorine dioxide, but I have never been able to reproduce that using the measurements he gives. If you follow the MMS protocol, you end up with much higher concentrations of free chlorine dioxide. This, combined with the low PH of the solution, results in nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In other words a mild case of poisoning.
If you follow the activation outlined in the MMS protocol, that is using 5 drops of 10% citric acid
for every 1 drop of MMS, you end up with chlorous acid plus an excess of citric acid.
Industry uses these products to keep meat, fruit, vegetables, and seafood from spoiling. They have found that the optimum activation with 10% citric acid involves a 1:1 ratio. Actually they use 50% citric acid and activate using 5 parts sodium chlorite to 1 part 50% citric acid.
I have run a lot of tests on activation, looking at efficacy, and have found that "industry" activation produces a solution that is about 30% more effective in oxidation potential than "MMS" activation. In this case it seems that industry has done a good job at figuring out the most effective activation. It is unfortunate that Jim Humble didn't review what industry was doing before he came up with his MMS protocol. Industry has been using these products for about 15 years, which predates Jim Humbles "discovery" of adding an acid to sodium chlorite to activate it.
MMS is a very high concentration of sodium chlorite. I have advised everyone that I come into contact with to dilute it down to a much safer to handle and use 5% concentration. You can do everything with the 5% concentration that you can do with MMS by simple adjusting the measurements used. The advantage of MMS comes into play when backpacking in the wilderness. However, the dangers of handling the higher concentration sodium chlorite solution and the small amounts needed in most cases offset the slight weight savings from carrying a more concentrated solution.
For example, to purify 1000 liters of wilderness water you would use about 30 ml of MMS, and 133 ml of a 5% sodium chlorite solution. This amounts to about 100 grams difference initially, but since you use more of the 5% solution, the extra weight would only be an issue during the first part of the trip.
The use of sodium chlorite and chlorine dioxide in mouthwash products has been going on for at least 10 years. The main use is to eliminate mouth odor and that has been well studied and documented. When you go beyond that and start to claim improved oral hygiene, the FDA becomes involved and that process can have some difficulties.
I might suggest that instead of shooting for a PH of 7, why not live with a PH of 6.5? I might also suggest using the industrial standard activation. This would involve putting 5 parts MMS into a glass, adding 1 part 50% citric acid, and letting the activation take place over a period of 10 minutes. Then add the amount of water you need to bring the free chlorine dioxide concentration to where it is needed, then add a small amount of baking soda to buffer the PH.
Add To Favorites!