It is always educational to compare toxic chemicals...
At least studies have been done on sodium fluoride, sodium chlorite, and chlorine dioxide. Where are the studies on ingesting chlorous acid?
Sodium fluoride has an ingestion LD50 of 80 - 200 mg/kg. Sodium chlorite has an ingestion LD50 of 165 mg/kg.
This indicates that sodium chlorite is a little safer than sodium fluoride, depending upon if you are a rat, rabbit, or human.
When looking at chlorine dioxide in the air, sodium fluoride has a permissible exposure level of 2.5 mg/cubic meter for the 8 hour limit while the limit for chlorine dioxide is 3.0 mg/cubic meter.
Once again this demonstrates that sodium fluoride is slightly more toxic than chlorine dioxide, but they are generally in the same "ball park" when looking at inhaling it.
You are correct in that it all comes down to concentration.
Chlorine dioxide is used in water purification at 2 PPM. MMS
is chlorous acid (which is different from the chlorine dioxide used in water purification) and involves concentrations much higher than those used in water purification.
A 3 drop dose of MMS mixed up according to the MMS protocol uses almost 40 mg of chlorite to produce a gross concentration of over 316 PPM available chlorine dioxide. This is only used to look at the amount of "crap" that ends up floating around in your system, but it is important to know the differences involved between water purification concentrations that are safe and MMS doses. The gross amount used for water purification is 2 PPM.
The conversion of sodium chlorite to chlorine dioxide is only about 60% efficient, so that gross 316 PPM concentration only yields about 189 PPM that can be used. The rest is waste product that needs to be eliminated from the body.
Chlorine dioxide does not exist inside the body for a period of time long enough to actually measure it. It quickly breaks down to chlorite. I believe chlorite levels can be measured in the blood, but the turbidity of the blood presents problems in doing so. You will have to review the toxicology information on chlorite to see how the different levels effect animals. The only human study involved 5 PPM chlorine dioxide over 12 weeks and 1 dose of 24 PPM chlorine dioxide and 1 dose of 2.4 PPM chlorite. This is the Lubbers study.
The Lubbers study lists a number of tests that they used to monitor the subjects for signs of oxidative stress. Jim Humble indicates that since a 2 PPM concentration of chlorine dioxide has been found to be safe and effective for purifying water, a 300 PPM concentration of chlorous acid should also be safe and effective.
When cornered on this, Jim Humble says that his doses only have about a 5 PPM concentration. Unfortunately, no one has been able to duplicate a test that confirms this. To see what a 6 PPM dose looks like simply mix up a 1 drop dose of MMS and put it into 2 liters of water. This is close to the concentrations that were found to be safe. How does a 3 drop dose mixed according to the MMS protocol compare to this?
Chlorine dioxide and chlorous acid are very effective at killing bacteria, fungus, and viruses on hard surfaces. Chlorine dioxide is capable of penetrating biofilms and eliminating them.
How similar is the human body to a hard surface? Since a biofilm coats the GI tract (mucous), how beneficial is it to remove that biofilm? There are other biofilms within the body so how beneficial is it to remove them?
Keep in mind that in order to get chlorine dioxide to work inside the body, you need a very high concentration to start with. The oxidative stress imposed upon the body by this initial high concentration may not be lethal, but it takes a toll on the body.
To go full circle on this. The body lives on oxidation. There are times when some additional oxidation can be beneficial to the body. Studies have been done using ozone, hydrogen peroxide, and the medical community uses radiation with some success. The key is the concentration used, and delivering the dose to where it is needed.
Studies looking at using chlorine dioxide and chlorous acid to kill pathogens on hard surfaces indicate that only small concentrations are needed. Water purification uses 2 PPM. Air purification was found to be beneficial at 0.1 PPM.
If Jim Humble was serious about this, he would have offered an explanation of why he is using doses that have concentrations much higher than what was used in water purification, and provided some test results indicating that those concentrations were safe to use. The tests listed in the Lubbers study are not expensive and since he claims to have run his experiments in hospitals and medical clinics I am sure they have the equipment necessary to do those tests.
Jim Humble also twists the fact that chlorine dioxide is selective. He says that indicates that it only attacks pathogens. The actual selective attribute of chlorine dioxide means that it doesn't react to water and hydrolyze in water. This is a reference to the difference between chlorine and chlorine dioxide. Chlorine reacts to water, and everything it comes into contact with forming disinfection by products that can cause cancer. Chlorine dioxide is selective in that it is a biocide and only kills living things. The disinfection by product formed with chlorine dioxide is chlorite. Some of the chlorite breaks down to chlorate and chloride, but most of it is passed from the body in urine.
As a biocide, chlorine dioxide kills living things. This means that you need to have a concentration in contact for a period of time long enough to achieve the kill. Now we are back to the concentrations needed.