CureZone
Old Format -> CureZone.INFO
Re: Balancing Dopamine Levels
Forum: The Truth in Medicine  
  • Balancing Dopamine Levels   Sentient   2y  1,133
    • I am curious why have you decided that it is ...   Klauss   2y  1,090
    • What are your thoughts on taking supplements...   Hveragerthi   2y  1,065  
      This is my avatar. Click here to see my profile.
      Hveragerthi
      Date: 2/17/2012 7:30:30 AM   ( 2y ago )   Hits:   1065

What are your thoughts on taking supplements to assist with regulating dopamine levels? There are many mixed and conflicting reports out.

I suspect that I experience extreme swings in perception due to a poor balance of dopamine in my system. Can you recommend any ways that could help normalize this?

I have read that all of the following assist in synthesis of dopamine:

Tyrosine
      5-HTP
      Glutamine
      dl- Phenylalanine
      B6
      D
      A
      C

Dopamine is actually synthesized in the body from tyrosine.  Phenylalanine works as well because it breaks down in to tyrosine. 

The B vitamins can help by increasing the methyl donor SAMe.  I still prefer TMG, which is a more effective methyl donor than SAMe.

I have tried taking 5-HTP, B6, and supplement D, A, TMG, Magnesium, your mood formula and C, but there have been no lasting effects.

Be careful about assuming it is a problem with dopamine levels though. It could just as easily be something else.  For example, both dopamine and cortisol can increase alertness, and can also keep a person awake.

But what is body's regulatory function for how much dopamine is synthesized or released?

It is a little more complicated than just synthesis and release.  Tyrosine is the precursor for dopamine, but dopamine is also the precursor for epinephrine and norepinephrine.  And prolactin is an antagonist to dopamine.  So high levels of prolactin can interfere with available dopamine.  Then there is the fact that dopamine receptors can be sensitized or desensitized.  Therefore, it is not as simple as how much dopamine is present.

Would you recommend supplementing with L-Tyrosine?

Tyrosine does provide various benefits to the body, including dopamine and thyroid hormone formation.  I am not that sure that a lack of dopamine is your problem though.  Especially since the Good Mood Formula is designed to also address low dopamine.

I have read that when taking it it may cause a lack of L-DOPA, but am unsure to what extent this is true.

That does not make any sense.  Tyrosine is the precursor for L-dopa, which in turn is converted in to dopamine.

Also what dosage range would you recommend if any.

Since you are not sure what is going on it would be best to keep supplementation low.  Therefore, I would recommend 500mg one to three times daily on an empty stomach.  This will at least help give some support to your thyroid, which could be part of the problem based on your statement below.

Also, is there a way to regulate dopamine better for one who sleeps/wakes at inconsistent hours?

Again, dopamine and cortisol both promote alertness.  Therefore, raising your dopamine is not likely going to help with your sleep.

Instead, I recommend checking your basal body temperature first to make sure that your thyroid is not part or all of the problem.  Hypothyroidism can interfere with sleep cycles.  Or it could be an issue with the hypothalamus, which can interfere with sleep cycles through several mechanisms.

Printer-friendly version of this page
      Email this message to a friend
      Bookmark this page/Add to Favorites or press Ctrl+D
      Alert Webmaster & Moderators
      Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message
      How do you feel about this message?     Like     Dislike       Hide this question

Attributes associated with this message:

You can

Find & Order All Messages Posted by Hveragerthi
      by
      DISCLAIMER

Medianet Ads

Medianet Ads

Donate to CureZone

Terms of Service - Privacy Policy - Spam Policy - Disclaimer - Guidelines & Rules - Forum Trolls

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - About - Sponsors - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2014  curezone.com