10 Tips To Control Your Anxiety
10 Tips To Control Your Anxiety
Date: 2/25/2018 11:06:21 PM ( 3 y ) ... viewed 127 times
If you suffer from anxiety, you often spend hours worrying. This excessive worry can lead to relationship problems, poor job performance and a decreased quality of life. Learning the top tips for controlling your anxiety can help keep your worry at bay and improve your overall quality of life. These techniques will help you cope when a situation arises, so a full-blown anxiety attack does not occur, prevent worry from disrupting your day and help you harness anxious thoughts until you can deal with them at a later time.
- Breathing exercises – Did you know that you can activate the body's relaxation response by simply following a few deep breathing techniques? Deep breathing exercises cause you to focus your attention on your breathing rather than your anxious thoughts. Psychology Today reports that deep breathing exercises activates the parasympathetic nervous system and halts the sympathetic nervous system via the vagus nerve. The parasympathetic nervous system controls your relaxation response while the sympathetic nervous system controls your flight or fight instinct. Thus, deep breathing exercises can relieve anxiety and promote relaxation.
- Desensitization – Desensitization is the process used to help you overcome your fears. When you follow a desensitization program, you retrain your brain by exposing yourself to the things you fear. For example, if you are afraid of dogs, think about dogs until you do not experience any fear. Then, look at photos and videos until you can look at a dog without being afraid. Then, you should stand on the opposite side of a fence from a friendly dog and watch it play. Finally, visit a friend who has a calm dog and spend time petting it until you are no longer afraid of dogs.
- Distractions – You can overcome your anxious thoughts by distracting yourself. Many anxiety sufferers have found that listening to music, participating in a hobby or talking to a friend can help distract them and prevent an anxiety attack.
- Exercise – Exercise is good for the body and the mind. When you exercise, stress hormones are reduced and endorphins are released. In addition to this, exercise helps to balance hormones and improves sleep. Whenever you have anxious thoughts, get up and exercise to reduce your stress and improve your mood.
- Healthy diet –Harvard Medical School reports that approximately 40 million Americans suffer from anxiety . When your glucose levels are allowed to rise and fall rapidly, it can cause anxiety. Consuming a diet filled with fruits, whole grains and vegetables along with eating several small meals throughout the day will prevent your blood sugar levels from dropping.
- Hydration – Many anxiety sufferers are dehydrated. Although dehydration cannot cause anxiety, it can worsen your symptoms. In order to ensure that you are properly hydrated, you will need to drink at least an ounce of water for every two pounds you weigh. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you will need to drink at least 75 ounces of water each day.
- Journal – Keep a journal to record your anxious thoughts. The reason for this is when you write something down, it solidifies the memory so that the mind does not keep replaying it over and over to ensure that the memory is remembered correctly. When you write down what is causing your anxiety, you can often see what you can do to alleviate or reduce it.
- Sex – When you make love, your body releases endorphins which help to curb your anxious thoughts. In addition to relaxing you, making love can strengthen your relationship. During sex, you can forget the things that are troubling you and focus on the intimacy that you are experiencing with your significant other.
- Sleep – If you do not get enough sleep, you may experience increased stress, anxiety, anger and fear. Getting an adequate amount of sleep (seven to nine hours) can help to minimize the risk of anxiety. When you sleep, memories are consolidated, hormones are produced and toxins are removed from the cells in the brain.
- Supplementation – An anxiety control supplement helps to ensure that your brain is receiving the support that it needs to handle the stress that it is subjected to throughout the day. When a supplement is taken, it helps the body produce serotonin and other calming neurotransmitters to help promote the relaxation response.
Anxiety is a highly treatable psychological condition. Using an anxiety control supplement, drinking plenty of fluids and eating a healthy diet will help ensure that your body and mind is healthy. Regular journal entries, deep breathing exercises and regular exercise can help relax you and control your thoughts so that anxiety no longer controls you.
Add This Entry To Your CureZone Favorites!Print this page
Email this page