You won't find many people that weren't treated with mecurichrome for scrapes in the 60's-70's. I assume it's off the market now?
Contact lens wearers had it in their solution too.
Gosh, can't figure why it would be an "allergen"...mercury perhaps? This is from an MD (skin Dr)
>>>The results from your patch testing showed a positive reaction (contact allergy) to Thimerosal. Your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of Thimerosal to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take repeat exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always "remembers" and you will be Thimerosal sensitive. If you currently have eczema this chemical may be the cause but other factors may play a role as well. The information below will help you avoid this allergen.
Used widely as an antiseptics and preservative in topical medications cosmetics, and vaccines. Individuals' that show a positive reaction to Thimerosal may be more of a risk to develop a photosensitivity to Felene (Piroxicam) an oral anti-inflammatory.
Where is chemical found?
►Contact lens solution
►Desensitization injections (allergy shots)
►Allergy skin testing solutions
►Oral hygiene products
Hints on avoiding chemical:
►Choose products listed only on your personalized Contact Allergen Database, which has been provided to you. Products listed on your Contact Allergen Resource Database will be free of Thimerosal and safe to use.
►Please be aware that if your spouse or significant other uses topical skin care products that contain this chemical skin-to-skin transfer may occur to you.
►It may take 2 to 3 weeks of avoiding exposure before improvement of your eruption begins.
►Inform your primary car physician about your allergy and ask for preparations that do not contain thimerosal.
Other names you may see this chemical listed as:
Potential Occupational Exposures