I was diagnosed with Ataxia a few weeks ago, but needed to take a MRI to determine which type. I have claustrophobia real bad and couldn't do the MRI.
Other than that I am very healthy. Since there is no cure and I probably won't take drugs to help the symptoms, I'm wondering how important it is to know what kind of Ataxia I have.
A few things have happened in the past that I'm thinking caused or contributed to this.
1. I have had whip-lash three times. First one when I was 16 years old, and the other two when I was in my 40's. The chiropractor said that I had a degenerated disk from the first time.
2. About 2 1/2 years ago a MD, ND prescribed lithium orotate 260 mg. once a day. My speech problems started the week that I took it. I've never taken it again, and I have continued to have speech slow-down and weakness in my voice. I may have had an allergic reaction, but wonder if it caused permanent damage. The only known allergy I have is to aspirin.
3. The third thing that has happened to me was, when walking fast, I tripped over a crack in the sidewalk and fell. I landed on my right hand and banged my head hard enough to chip my tooth, skin up my lip, skin up my knees and arms. I couldn't get up for about 20 minutes. I had my hand x-rayed and no bones were broken, but I believe I had severe nerve damage. I fell about a year and a half ago.
4. I am dealing with major stress due to circumstances I cannot change now.
These are the symptoms that concern me as they have been ongoing for a period of time:
- Double vision - It started a few weeks ago, It gets worse when I am tired or stressed.
- Trembling/shaking hands on occasion.
- In recent months I have been experiencing weakness, its hard to shower and dress myself. It's difficult to do anything with my hands. Getting in and out of a car is difficult - Partly due to balance and partly due to weakness.
- Bad balance while walking, I sometimes look
like I'm drunk when I walk. I have always been physically active and co-ordinated,
- Co-ordination and agility of right hand is really bad, I never regained use of it after the fall. My left hand is better and more useful than my right hand, and I've always been right-handed.
- I have always been very articulate, but sometimes I have trouble pronouncing and saying certain words for about two and a half years - since I took Lithium for a week. It is difficult to talk as it takes energy I don't have, especially when tired and stressed. My speech is sometimes slurred.
Occasional muscle spasms, muscle weakness and eye twitching.
My diet is good. I eat 6 - 10 mostly raw, some lightly steamed fruits & veggies a day. Nuts, seeds, beans, rice, salmon, wild buffalo, eggs, kefir, garlic, onions, oatmeal, etc. NO refined sugar, flour, white rice, no fried foods, and little processed food.
I don't drink or smoke. I do about 45 minutes of yoga once or twice a week, and walk about 2 miles 2 - 3 times a week.
- I do 7 to 10 day juice fasts twice a year, shorter fasts on occasion, with Liver Flushes
4 a year (seasonally), and herbal parasite
cleanses 2 times a year. I've been doing this for 5 1/2 years. I rotate supplements, vitamins and protocols. I was a vegetarian for 3 years.
I am not on any prescription medication. I have done accupunture for about 2 years, and Electro Physiologial Feedback Xrroid monthly for a year.
I'm supplementing with Carlson fish oil, Multiple Amino Acids, L-glutamine, GABA, L-tyrosine, Garden of Life Vitamin Code (raw food created multiple vitamin), zinc, B complex, vitamin B12, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Sambucus and homemade kefir.
Hv, can you offer any suggestions about what I can do for Ataxia and to slow down the progression of this disease?
Comments or advise from anyone with knowledge about Ataxia would be greatly appreciated!