IMO, just 1 drop of 5% Lugols
is really too much to start for some people who are loaded with toxins. In my experience you should put 1 drop into a bottle of water and drink 1 ounce a day to start. When that is gone, put 2 drops into the bottle of water and drink 1 ounce a day. Etc until you titrate up to 1 drop a day.
Everyone is different, some can start at 12mg with no detox symptoms, some can even start at 50mg a day with minimal symptoms. Here is what happens. Your cells get loaded with bromide, fluoride, & chlorine.
Now when you start taking iodine, more of these toxins get into the blood stream than your liver & kidneys can handle, and you suffer detox symptoms.
See these files on Detox:
The other alternate approach recommended by experts here is to jump right up to 50mg or 100mg to get detox over quickly. I can't say which would work best for you. I prefer the go slow approach in my experience.
Hope this helps,