CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Affection~vs~Respect

Views: 1,433
Published: 14 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,017,720

Re: Affection~vs~Respect

As there are many words for "love" in some other languages, perhaps we are limited in our ability to understand the word "respect" because we have only one word for it(don't we?hmmm...)If we are talking about a rigid, mechanical, response to an authoritarian parent or employer or a legalistic "respect" for rules, I can see how the Librarian might accept that. But if "respect" is deeply rooted in consideration of others, then it can form a basis for love. I am a teacher and know that I have to earn the "respect" of my teenagers before I can help them to learn and I can't demand it because of my "position"; but I will never allow a student to curse me or yell at me or to harm another student--I love my students and if I allow them to be crude or rude to me or another student then it hurts the offender and it makes it impossible for those who want to learn to be able to do so. I am also a wife, and regarding the men I have loved, my love is deeply grounded in respect for that man, even in his weakness or weariness; respect because of the depths of his humanity, his struggles daily, his growth in trying to be cheerful when he is angry and all the rest of it. A martinette type rigid obedience, grounded in fear, probably needs a different word from other kinds of "respect". How great and how limited is language!

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

4.518 sec, (1)