I am sorry for your little girl. Doctors seems to find medicine an enigma these days.
I went through a head trauma and the thing that woke my brain back up was hyperbaric oxygen. Has your daughter had a brain scan or Brain mri? There must have been some brain issues for this to have happened?
I posted the reference below a while back in the neurology forum. If you consult with one or both of those doctors they may be able to advise you. It is very possible that hyperbaric oxygen could help your child come out of this. Since she is an epileptic or has potential for that- hyperbaric can increase that tendency, however, if it is under controlled or controlled with meds it may be worth the risk.
Don't ask your doctor about hyperbaric. Only a specialist in hyperbaric can help you with your questions. When my father was ill with toxic encephalopathy from acquired bacteria and other infections from the hospital after having surgery, they would not consider it and said there was "no indication". It could have saved his life and enhanced the quality of his life thereafter.
Hyperbaric oxygen is the way to go if you have the funds. Look up abilitycamp.com. It is canada but more affordable than US and the room was practically free with treatment so you are paying for the treatment, get a room while undergoing treatment and only have to provide for food for yourself.
Oxygen is not covered in USA under insurance because it is considered off label.
Some excellent providers of hyperbaric and medical consultation in the USA: include the two following physicians:
Dr. Neubauer. One of the foremost authorities in the USA on hyberbaric and brain damage. Worth at least a visit and a beautiful place to get treatment right off the coast. Ask if phone consults are available, expect to send medical records.
Dr. Perlmutter another specialist that has done extensive work with the brain and has a private hyperbaric treatment center attached to his clinic.Ask if phone consults are available, expect to send medical records.
He has a number of formulated vitamins and powders and books that he feels aids the brain. Vinpocetine sp? and hyperizine sp? are suppose to be useful in addition to phosphotidylserine intake. I know NOW vitamins also has a brain formula that might be useful.
3. It is imperative that her diet be really good. Get the junk out the good stuff in. Salad raw foods etc to help heal her brain and help her repair her system. No diet drinks , chips , hydrogenated crackers etc, will make the body harder to work at healing.
4. Neurofeedback. Can do wonders but this should follow as part of a program of cognitive therapy and should definitely follow after the hyperbaric. Hyperbaric can perform miracles. Hyperbaric will require numerous treatments hence the earlier use of the term fundraiser. Brain injury or cerebral palsy patients sometimes go through dozens if not more than hundred or so treatments. It is worth seeing one of the above practitioners and know what they think and if they have treated earlier or similar cases to your aunts.
5. Computer games. start out simple like with the game collapse or diamond mine on yahoo or bejeweled. The brain will respond to simple stimulus . Treat like a child starting out very simply. Gradually progress to other games like tetras. There are even better games out now that involve playing a guitar or boxing the air if arm movement or body movement has been impaired . These aid in developing new neural network pathways.
6. play Mozart and some of the other classical artists used for baby brain geniuses( I think that was a cd) music is suppose to encourage some form of development.Affects the brain wave pattern.
7. you can buy cognitive rehab software for single computer. Can be pricey. Don't know much about it, but it is designed for this.
8. physical activity, walks in the sun. If she uses her left hand , make her practice brushing hair with the right. If you walk down your street to the right, go left. Alternating and changing things frequently wakes the brain up say , whoa what is happening, pay attention. Good for developing neural networks.
9. Have her read if possible small excerpt or piece of news and then relate it back to you . Encourage interaction and support.
10. Find a brain injury support group in your area. Find out who the good docs are locally and what treatments people have tried.
11. Find a church or other religious affiliate to pray for her. I have read many miracles about the power of prayer by a group to help someone. You will need a large congregation. If you don't belong, submit a prayer request online or at churches, hospital chaplains , unitarian etc, even curezone.
Lastly take a deep breath in and let it out and say to yourself , we can do this . Don't try to do it all yourself, call in as many extended family or friends of hers or yours as possible.
If I had to give you a short list of the priority to do these items I would do the following:
1. hyperbaric and or hyperbaric consult with a brain specialist. Not just any brain specialist but one extensively familiar with the amazing feats of hyperbaric and recovery from acquired brain injury. You have the two names above, start there IMHO
2. Diet. Make it healthy. Include fish oil and other supplements. Exercise if possible as that helps to build new brain cells .
3. cognitive therapy program of some sort (neurofeedback, cognitive computer program)
Just for the record, I am not affliated with any person listed here. I went through a really bad trauma myself. So I know what is happening in a sense.
People after brain injuries may be different in subtle and or profound ways. I miss who I use to be , but I am grateful for the miracles and blessing in my life. I am not sure what the extent your aunt's damage is or her prognosis, but the recommendations above can make her better.
I will pray for your child and wish that you she recovers and you find the answers you need.