CureZone   Log On   Join
New Puppy - Flea, Heartworm and Vaccine Alternatives

Anja Views: 7,825
Published: 13 years ago

New Puppy - Flea, Heartworm and Vaccine Alternatives

I am getting a small purebred puppy in May (Havanese) and would like to avoid toxic drugs and vaccines as much as possible. She will already have had her first round of "puppy shots," I can't avoid that, the breeder will not let her go without those and it's likely she's already had them, and they will be recommending a second round shortly after, I'm sure. In my state rabies is mandatory, and I do not want to give her that, either.

I read the post below about vaccines and have been trying to study this for some time. My problem is I have to find a balance on reasonable protection for her because I do not want her to have an isolated life where she doesn't get to be around other dogs, or stays inside a lot to try to avoid mosquitoes in warmer months. I want to take her to puppy class for training and socialization, but I'm afraid that may hinge on her having all her "puppy shots." I have to somehow find a balance where she's protected in the least toxic way, but I'm not making myself crazy worrying about every place she goes and an impossible regime of herbs and supps.

I have a holistic vet that I haven't seen in a number of years since my last dog, and I will see what she recommends. Last I talked to her, she was on the fence about whether homeopathy was an acceptable replacement for vaccines in terms of real prevention, she didn't feel there was enough evidence that it worked, but she did do homeopathy following vaccines to try to negate the side effects, and I know she believes our pets are routinely over-vaccinated.

I do plan to feed a raw prey-model diet, but there is just a lot of conflicting information out there about things like whether homeopathic nosodes work as prevention in place of vaccine, what herbs are safe for dogs, etc. I think even my vet is still learning. Like I found a website where a woman cured her dog's heartworm with nature's sunshine herbs, and included cloves and garlic, but I've also read that those 2 herbs are toxic to dogs? Of course so is the heartworm drug, so maybe in that case it's the lesser of 2 evils.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.com

2.172 sec, (2)