CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: cataract surgery: any suggestions for recovering/healing?

Anja Views: 1,586
Published: 13 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,349,114

Re: cataract surgery: any suggestions for recovering/healing?

not sure if you have done the surgery already, but 2 suggestions:

I ran across some sort of antioxidant eye drop marketed toward pets but also good for people that is supposed to reverse cataracts, at least to a point, and it works best if the cataracts are not too advanced. I wish I could find the link, I need to do another search because I will need this at some point for either myself, family or pet. Seems worth trying.

I didn't know about those drops when I got my yorkie cataract surgery at age 14. What I will tell you is that it was VERY hard on her, I'm not sure if it was the postoperative pain or the anesthesia, but she was never the same and went downhill shortly afterward from kidney failure. I kept her going an extra year with fluid injections, but that was for me, not for her, and I regret that also. Her blood panels had cleared her for surgery, but 2000+ later out of my hard earned savings, I wished I had not put her through it. It was a really tough decision because I knew she had them and let them advance because I thought for sure she was near the end of her life at 13, then 14, and also believed she would "adapt" to the loss of vision. She didn't. She hated it, and it was excruciating to watch, which is why I opted for surgery. In retrospect, the best thing would have been to have the surgery much sooner, or put her down when she became totally blind and was clearly a very unhappy girl.

Just know what you are getting into with it - - I wish I had taken a different course, though it may be the right one for you. Good luck whatever you decide. I am planning ahead because I'm about to adopt another purebred (havanese) that is also prone to cataracts, and I'm sure at some point I will be facing this situation again. I am really hoping those drops work.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.com

0.719 sec, (1)