I have several 5mm stones I am trying to dissolve at the moment. I have been avoiding the surgery like the plaque. The stones in my kidneys I don't even notice it's a stone in the ureter that is causing my discomfort. I am taking "Stone Free" at the moment in an attempt to dissolve the stone that is bothering me and possibly the stones still in my kidneys as well. I can't tell for sure if it is working yet, my symptoms have not lessened yet but I now feel sort of like there is ground glass in my urethra now so I imagine that the stone(s) are starting to disintegrate. In the past stones have passed in a few weeks for me, this one has been bothering me for 3 months. If I had known that it would take so long I would have done the surgery. You have a difficult decision to make, I would set things up with your doctor such that you try and stick it out but if the pain becomes too bad, or of course if your flow becomes restricted, that he can get you in in a short period of time for the surgery.