Mr. Joseph Clifford contributed the below article to Media Monitors Network (MMN) from James Town, Rhode Island,
* The Russians got into their Vietnam (Afghanistan) right after US got out of theirs?
Isn't that strange?
* US supported Bin Laden and the Talibans for years, and viewed them as freedom fighters against the Russians? Isn't that strange? *
* As late as 1998 the US was paying the salary of every single Taliban's official in Afghanistan? Isn't that strange?
* There is more oil and gas in the Caspian Sea area than in Saudi Arabia, but you need a pipeline through Afghanistan to get the oil out. Isn't that strange?
* UNOCAL, a giant American Oil conglomerate, wanted to build a 1,000 mile long pipeline from the Caspian Sea through Afghanistan to the Arabian Sea. Isn't that strange?
* UNOCAL spent $10,000,000,000 on geological surveys for pipeline construction, and very nicely courted the Talibans for their support in allowing the construction to begin. Isn't that strange?
* All of the leading Taliban officials were in Texas negotiating with UNOCAL in 1998. Isn't that strange?
* 1998-1999 the Talibans changed its mind and threw UNOCAL out of the country and awarded the pipeline project to a company from Argentina. Isn't that strange?
* John Maresca, VP of UNOCAL testified before Congress and said no pipeline until the Talibans were gone and a more friendly government was established. Isn't that strange?
* 1999-2000 The Talibans became the most evil people in the world. Isn't that strange?
* Niaz Naik, a former Pakistani Foreign Secretary, was told by senior American officials in mid-July (2000) that military action against Afghanistan would go ahead by the middle of October (2000). Isn't that strange?
* 9/11 WTC disaster.
* Bush goes to war against Afghanistan even though none of the hijackers came from Afghanistan. Isn't that strange?
* Bush blamed Bin Laden but has never offered any proof saying it's a "secret". Isn't that strange?
* Talibans offered to negotiate to turn over Bin Laden if we showed them some proof. We refused; we bombed. Isn't that strange?
* Bush said: "This is not about nation building. It's about getting the terrorists." Isn't that strange?
* We have a new government in Afghanistan. Isn't that strange?
* The leader of that government formerly worked for UNOCAL (Hamid Karrzai). Isn't that strange?
* Bush appoints a special envoy to represent the US to deal with that new government, who formerly was the "chief consultant to UNOCAL" (LakhdarIbrahimi). Isn't that strange?
* The Bush family acquired their wealth through oil? Isn't that strange?
* Bush's Secretary of Interior was the President of an oil company before going to Washington. Isn't that strange?
* George Bush Sr. (Father) now works with the "Carlysle Group" specializing in huge oil investments around the world. Isn't that strange?
* Condoleezza Rice worked for Chevron before gong to Washington. Isn't that strange?
* Chevron named one of its newest "supertankers" after Condoleezza.Isn't that strange?
* Dick Cheney worked for the giant oil conglomerate Haliburton before becoming VP of USA. Isn't that strange?
* Haliburton gave Cheney $34,000,000,000 as a farewell gift when he left Haliburton. Isn't that strange?
* Haliburton is in the pipeline construction business. Isn't that strange?
* There is $6 Trillion dollars worth of oil in the Caspian Sea area. Isn't that strange?
* The US government quietly announces Jan 31, 2002 we will support the construction of the Trans-Afghanistan pipeline. Isn't that strange?
* President Musharref (Pakistan), and Karrzai, (Afghanistan - Unocal) announce agreement to build proposed gas pipeline from Central Asia to Pakistan via Afghanistan. (Irish Times 02/10/02) Isn't that strange?
"It's the Oil, Stupid!"
(And all the while we were told it was about Terrorism and freedom)