CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: replenishing the good guys with homemade kraut

indigoaura Views: 29,902
Published: 11 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,871,575

Re: replenishing the good guys with homemade kraut

Just wanted to add that fermenting too long works against you (per scientific evidence). Go to the link on my last post on "wild" fermented kraut, and you will see the chart showing that after 5 days the bacteria count starts to DECREASE consistently. This is because when they run out of food, thy start to die. Bacteria are living organisms and so need food and oxygen.

Kraut will keep for who knows how many years because the bacteria produce lactic acid which preserves it. That was great when we didn't have grocery stores or refrigeration, BUT, for our purposes, we want live bacteria, so I ferment for 5 days (or 7 in the winter)and then put in the fridge to slow down the process. I make one small batch at the time, but I live next to a whole foods and I'm not trying to preserve the harvest. :-)

Try with a capsule and ferment for 5-7 days then put in the fridge and eat immediately and see if you notice a difference.

Again, I'm in marketing, just reading scientific charts and studies on the topic, so if I am wrong I will graciously accept correction.

This is my recipe (everything organic, preferably local):

1 head red cabbage
1 "thumb" ginger root
1 tsp raw honey
1 probiotic capsule

I hand chop everything because I don't have a food processor. I take 1/3 of the cabbage and put in the blender with maybe 2 cups of water? honey, ginger root and capsule. I mix everything together and pack it into 1 quart jars - usually fills 2 of them. I put a few cabbage leaves on top and be sure the liquid is covering everything. If you have any air pockets you are asking for mold and dangerous kraut. Any mold, discoloration, or weird smells, DO NOT EAT. It's not worth the .50 cents in cabbage to risk illness. Put the lid on tight, then loosen slightly so your jar won't explode. After 5 -7 days put in fridge and eat immediately.

That's how I do it, with delicious results. I hope this helps!

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.com

0.938 sec, (1)