CureZone   Log On   Join
Photodynamic therapy: Safe and effective treatment to EC?

Lugol’s Iodine Free S&H
J.Crow’s® Lugol’s Iodine Solution. Restore lost reserves.

Free Remineralizing Tooth Powder!
Best Teeth Remineralization, Strengthening, and Clea...

Google Advertisement
Google Advertisement
Michel84 Views: 1,430
Published: 10 years ago

Photodynamic therapy: Safe and effective treatment to EC?

Hi guys,

Not sure if others posted about this before, but I think photodynamic therapy (PDT) might be a safe and effective way to treat EC. Of course no scientific literature can be found on the specific subject, but I found this article today. It's about localized severe atopic dermatitis, which seems in some respects to be related to EC (at least with respect to the symptoms).

Skin photodynamic therapy in severe localized
atopic dermatitis: a case report.
(British Journal of Dermatology - Volume 163, Issue 2, Article first published online: 23 APR 2010)

It mentions a significant reduction in the area affected (around the wrists) after 7 days, without symptomatic side effects.

I cite:
"Although PDT has never been used in patients with AD
before, our findings are not surprising. Recent studies show
that PDT exerts significant immunosuppressive effects(4) that are likely to rely on the generation of reactive oxygen specie(5) and a reduced expression of and cellular responsiveness to various cytokines.(6,7) Although limited to one single patient in whom we cannot exclude the additional effect of concurrent ciclosporin treatment (which was, however, ineffective until PDT was started), our observations suggest that PDT is harmless and might represent a viable alternative to more toxic treatments such as local or systemic corticosteroids and tacrolimus in patients with limited, severe AD lesions."
(References are in () )

Personally I'm very interested in this treatment, most importantly as it appears to be safe, and second, as the direct effects are indeed immunosuppressive and reduce stimulation of the immune system to skin cells.

I will make an appointment with my dermatologist to discuss this. I myself will read up more about it.

I'm interested in what you guys think of it!!

Michel

PS. Many of you probably can't read the article as you have no access, but if you have a specific question about it, i can look it up for you.
PS2. PDT goes like this: you apply a substance on your skin, you keep the skin in the dark for 2 hr., and the doctor will illuminate the skin for 10 min. This will be repeated for several weeks. More specifically: A galenical preparation of 20% cream is applied onto lesional skin and,
after 2 h of light occlusion, the area is irradiated with
narrowband red light (630 nm, 75 J cm)2) for 10 min.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.com

0.453 sec, (2)