CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Why is my colloidal silver plating glass when I make it?

Esstee Views: 1,766
Published: 9 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,978,670

Re: Why is my colloidal silver plating glass when I make it?

Hi ino,
Sorry about the lack of details. Which makes perfect sense btw. Okay so here's where I'm at with my process to date:

1. This has happened with both a 250 and 1000ml batches
2. I'm currently using 3 x 9v batteries in series for a total of 28.22v without load. On the current side, I have two .75mah current limiting diodes setup in parallel which keep things at a steady .88mah under load.
3. I'm using two .9999 5" silver bands that are 5mm wide & 0.4mm thick. The anode 85% submerged, and my cathod is adjusted(during processing) to maintain an optimum load of 1/2 the total voltage or 14v.
4. I use steam distilled water, scrub and rinse everything down between each batch. The working solution is heated to 88c +/- 1 and stirred using a magnetic stirrer. I start things off getting the water up to temp followed by a priming(current applied) until I read nominal conductivity(.88mah). This usually takes aprox. 10mins. After which I'll start timing for a 20ppm batch. I clean my cathod every 30mins to help reduce contamination. At which point I disconnect everything, reduce my stirrer and allow to cool.

The plating usually becomes noticeable after the cooling period, or... toward the end of the process. Though it may actually be happening gradually and I don't notice it. Though for the most part, it becomes noticeable when the solution turns to a straw or amber color. I complete the process by placing the CS in glass bottles for 48 hours to settle, after which I draw and filter the final solution for permanent storage. (This usually takes care of any of the residual oxide left over from processing). As a precaution, I don't draw the final 1/2" of solution from the settling bottles.

Well that about covers it for processing I think.

On the issue of ingestion, I guess it isn't a huge deal given that it's happening in the bowl rather than in my stomach, though, I'd like to think that I'd take whatever measures to avoid it if possible.

PS. after a little more experimentation, I noticed that the plating doesn't seem to happen when I make room temp CS. And so I'm leaning toward the notion that this may be the result of the silver oxide being reduced to metallic silver(absence of free oxygen). At which point the oxide may be dropping out of the solution. But I'm no chemist and so I have nothing beyond that of repeating what I've read from others on the issue.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

0.641 sec, (2)