CureZone   Log On   Join
Re:no 'fridge tell us more

Views: 1,939
Published: 15 years ago

This is a reply to # 202,818

Re:no 'fridge tell us more

yeah, that's pretty interesting. I'd like to hear more...

off topic (sort of like trapper's microwave) I was reading yesterday about a way to make maple syrup "raw", in what used to be called 'the eskimo' way
(this refers to their cutting sea ice in the winter and keeping it on land in the brief summers, as a source of fresh drinking water.)

Basically, you freeze the -in this case- sap, and then thaw it and dispose of some of the liquid, refreeze, and do the whole thing again. The author of this Mother Earth News article from their archives online (the '70's) figured he had about $1.48 that he could squeeze out of the family budget (I love these necessity-breeds-invention stories!!)and lived near some government land. He located three trees and collected 5 gallons sap. In the end, after NOT ruining his kitchen with steam from boiling sap, he'd spent less than a dollar on some drinking straws and a few plastic food bags. He ended up with a pint of RAW maple syrup.

And then ran an experiment to check to see how much potential syrup he'd actually lost in the process. It came out to something very minimal...and didn't take long, or much in the way of hydro.

Reading this, I was thinking: there's something in this! Someone should pick up on it. Run with it. Anyway-- you see how little that has to do with the fact that you have no refridgerator?!

Sort of like a double negative -- making a positve?

:-)

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

2.281 sec, (1)