CureZone   Log On   Join
How can you have high cortisol if your adrenals are 'fatigued'?

natway Views: 874
Published: 8 years ago

How can you have high cortisol if your adrenals are 'fatigued'?

This was the tipping point for me after researching and thinking about it more that made me agree with the little ole group called the medical community that adrenals don't wear out from too much stress and that "Adrenal Fatigue" is a bogus condition.

An alternative practitioner had diagnosed me with "AF", yet the saliva test he ordered and had me do showed that my cortisol levels were higher than normal. How could that be if my adrenals were "fatigued"?!! Shouldn't my cortisol levels be lower than normal?

"Adrenal Fatigue" is supposedly when your adrenal glands start to tire out and fatigue from too much stress and are said to be unable to produce the amount of hormones the brain wants them to produce to handle the person's stress-load and to cure this alleged condition, alternative practitioners will try to "strengthen" and "rebuild" your adrenal grands with lot of expensive and questionable supplements and glandulars.

But when a person is under great stressed, healthy and functioning adrenals are supposed to produce higher than normal levels of cortisol:

" When you encounter a perceived threat — a large dog barks at you during your morning walk, for instance — your hypothalamus, a tiny region at the base of your brain, sets off an alarm system in your body. Through a combination of nerve and hormonal signals, this system prompts your adrenal glands, located atop your kidneys, to release a surge of hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol.

Adrenaline increases your heart rate, elevates your blood pressure and boosts energy supplies. Cortisol, the primary stress hormone, increases sugars (glucose) in the bloodstream, enhances your brain's use of glucose and increases the availability of substances that repair tissues.

Cortisol also curbs functions that would be nonessential or detrimental in a fight-or-flight situation. It alters immune system responses and suppresses the digestive system, the reproductive system and growth processes. This complex natural alarm system also communicates with regions of your brain that control mood, motivation and fear."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress/SR00001

I think "AF" is really malnutrition due to the prolonged effects of calorie-restriction because the symptoms of starvation and "AF" are exactly the same:

//www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=2045586#i

and high cortisol can be caused by under-eating:

Factors generally increasing cortisol levels
- Anorexia nervosa may be associated with increased cortisol levels.
- Severe calorie restriction causes elevated baseline levels of cortisol.

//www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=2080264#i

because under-eating/starvation causes stress:

"General adaptation syndrome, or GAS, is a term used to describe the body's short-term and long-term reactions to stress. Stressors in humans include such physical stressors as starvation, being hit by a car, or suffering through severe weather."
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/general+adaptation+syndrome

The next time you hear someone say they think they might have Adrenal Fatigue, or some practitioner diagnosed them with that, say:

Have Adrenal Fatigue? No You Don't.
//www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=2087403#i

and then tell them to make sure they are not under-eating by making sure they are getting their recommended calorie levels:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/healthy-weight-bas...

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

0.391 sec, (2)