I don't think you read ENOUGH. I'm certainly not an expert and I'm certain one CAN poison himself with iodine, but many people take Lugol's internally and have for years and "swear by it."
I think the issue is rather individual and you should educate yourself more and don't be too quick to swallow anything (pun intended).
I've not taken any internally yet, but I'm convinced many do, have done it and will continue to do so with good results.
Of this I'm reasonably certain and a thorough search should confirm it easily: "As a talisman" or "topically" is a *COMPLETELY* safe way to take Iodine and it seems to be a well-known fact that the time it takes for the Iodine to disappear from your skin is indicative of whether you're deficient or sufficient in iodine. I understand that you CANNOT overdose on Iodine by taking it topically, though I understand that you lose close to 80% by evaporation. Some would consider that a small price to pay for the safety.
Check several sites. Remember, "in the mouth of two or three witnesses, let every fact be established."