CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Which Microscope to buy for protozoa

jazzydude Views: 1,081
Published: 4 years ago

This is a reply to # 2,360,604

Re: Which Microscope to buy for protozoa

>Giardia is very distinctive and easy to identify, and they can be motile. Staining is to make conclusive evidentiary finding.

Indeed, I'm currently primarily interested in Giardia but also interested in learning how to identify Entamoeba Histolytica. I expect to run in to many things I do not know about but hope to be able to spot giardia if I see it.

Are you familiar with this method of staining https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3527778/

It looks simple and inexpensive at first glance.

>The visual inspection should suffice for the purpose of convincing your doctor to run real tests.

Which labs do you recommend? The Ova and parasite and Elisa tests done by regular labs paid by insurance were never able find anything and I did many of such tests.
I have also heard complaints about false negatives from such labs from many people in the last 10 years.

I'm also not sure if they look for Giardia under a microscope. The labs that used microscopy (Cahill in NYC and two other labs in Brazil) were able to detect Protozoa.

>Or, there are plenty of private labs that will do this for probably less than the price of the equipment you will purchase.

Less then 300$ in USA?

There are labs in Brazil that can test very inexpensively when compared to north american prices. Labion a top quality lab in Rio de Janeiro did for less then 100$ and will even allow for a free re-test if the first test result in a negative. But it's a expensive trip for me.

I forgot the exact price of Cahills test (around $400) but he never found giardia, only Entamoeba Histolytica and charcot leyden crystals.

The Healthcare industry is often trying to save a buck and Drs often spend little time with patients. It's reasonable to assume labs do not spend much time looking with a microscope. A patient have a much bigger incentive to spend time looking he/her self.

>Giardia is an easy ID in my opinion, if the infection is acute. You could even grow the cysts in the right medium, from stool sample if nothing is found immediately.

That is interesting. I did not think about this possibility. Thank you that is very helpfull!

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

1.578 sec, (2)