Oh, and a further example of how tough these little bastards are is that the other day I was painting some clear fingernail polish on my fingernails and I had a bleeding a hangnail and thought nothing of it but when I put my brush back in the clear fingernail polish close the lid and this is the type of clear that is in a light tight black bottle so that light can't get inside it and start the process that polymerize this particular type of clear gel coat polish until you want it to polymerize/harden, the UV in light triggers that process to get started.
the next time I open that bottle up and pulled the brush out there was a small, look like a newly grown adult version of one of these worms wrapped stuck to the stem of the brush, and thoroughly embedded and trapped inside a layer of dried, semi-cured clear gelcoat.
My theory is there must've been a tiny microfilarial larva in the blood of my hangnail, that got swept up and stuck to the brush when I put it away inside the bittle of clear gelcoat. And despite the clear gelcoat basically being a solvent-based lacquer with all kinds of toxic ingredients like toluene, isopropanol, butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, polymers, and a long list of toxic sounding chemicals, a baby worm was able to thrive in it and extract some sort of nourishment to develop to the next stage before the sticky goop dried and imprisoned it. I'm not sure if it was even fully dead when I got it out and saved it inside a plastic container. It's almost completely clear just like the gelcoat, but under magnification you can clearly see the shape of its head, face, eyes and mouthparts. Eeerie huh? If that toxic soup of chemicals not only didn't kill it, but damn near thrived in it.... kinda shows you why there's no magic pill medication that just simply and swiftly kills these things and cures you ann happy and quickly. These are real, actual, bonafide MONSTERS,