Hi Mage, Johnny is right. It's true the liver and adrenals etc need to be able to withstand the effects of chelation.....this is the whole point behind low, frequent doses that Culter recommends and Johnny talks about....most people who are mercury toxic have weak organs/glands to start off with anyway so they can't cope with high doses....so no point in stressing them further with high doses. That was a very high dose of DMSA people you were taking...no wonder you felt worse.
It's good you're seeing some improvements now :) but I'm also interested in the plant based supplement you're taking. Remember as Johnny said timing is crucial so it might be important to take this supplement at frequent intervals. Speak to your practitioner about this.
Take care :)
P.S. zinc deficiency also often underlies loss of taste and smell.