CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: colon cancer--please help

beloved1 Views: 6,885
Published: 16 years ago

This is a reply to # 336,634

Re: colon cancer--please help

I had a radical colectomy. That is about 40-60% oc my colon was removed (descending and sigmoid). My colon was fully blocked and I was severly acute at the time of diagnosis, so I did not have the luxary of time. It was surgery or death. I had an emergency colostomy so that my system could recover formthe blockage, and one week later, I had the colectomey. I was diagnosed stage C (4 of 7 lymph nodes poitive), which has 5 year disease-free survival of 25%-40%. I did Folfox 4 Adjuvant chemo. I had a severe allergic reaction to the Oxaliplatin at treatment #8 (of 12), and I nearly died. I was to do 8 mor eweeks of 5FU + lucavorin but I terminated after 4 weeks (against my onc's advice).

I well understand your brother's shock. LEarning that you have cancer is not easy, but you adjust. He is quite fortunate to have been caught early. Early colon cancer has very high survival rates (98% at stage A). The first important task is to find out where the cancer is. As I understand, a PET scan is preferable to a CT scan, as a PET will usually show node involvement. He should discuss this with a competant doctor. I don;t understand the "too many Polyps" issue. My sister had 5 polyps removed.

David

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

2.533 sec, (1)