First of all, I'd like to thank you for posting this information. I have several concerns, however, that I'd like to ask you about. My nine year old son was diagnosed with UC this past July. He's taking Asacol and Zantac for treatment of the UC (Dr. says that the UC is causing my son to suffer from esophagitis as well?). He also takes medication for allergies and asthma.
The first thing I did after reading your posting was call the pharmacist to make sure it would be safe for my son to take vitamin E along with his many meds. The pharmacist stated that there wouldn't be an issue as far as interactions go, but that he wouldn't advise giving a child vitamin E because it can cause cardiac problems with long-term use. I really don't want to discuss this alternative treatment with my son's doctor because I know that she's going to say that it won't work and advise against it. That being said, she's perfectly happy having my son take Asacol which hasn't produced any positive results since he started taking it in July. She says that he'll probably never have a normal stool again, and that even though my son goes to the toilet just as often when taking the Asacol as he did before he started, it's still necessary for him to take 2,400 mg of it daily. Not to mention the fact that my son has only had one flare-up landing him in the hospital and that was after he'd been on the Asacol for more than a month.
My son's appetite is so bad with the UC that if he isn't given something that appeals to him, he'd rather not eat at all. In fact, even if he does get something he likes or wants, it's doubtful that the will eat enough of it to consider it a "meal". He was in the hospital for four days about a month ago, at which time he was being given prednisone. He's been weaning slowly off of the high dosage (40mg) for the last month and will be completely finished by next week. His appetite has been great while taking the steroids - he's gained 8 pounds in the past month. Now that he's only taking 5mg of prednisone, I see a drastic decrease in his appetite, and I just know it will be worse once he's off it completely. I'd really like to try this Vitamin E enema and diet treatment, but I am really concerned that I won't be able to get him to eat the foods he needs to keep him healthy. My question to you is: Do you think that the Vitamin E Enema & Diet is safe for a nine-year-old boy? If so, how would you suggest modifying the dosage of vitamin E as well as the diet to meet the needs of children (not to mention getting them to eat the stuff in the first place)? Since fruit is out of the question, what kinds of breakfast foods (other than eggs) and snacks would fit into the diet? What might I pack for his lunch at school every day?
I also have a couple of questions as far as liquids go. First of all, I recall reading something in your posting that said no cold drinks. Do you mean that all liquids must be served hot or room temperature? If so, why? As far as the distilled water goes, is there any other alternative to buying a distiller? I own a water cooler, and purchase the 5 gallon bottles of spring water for it. Would a Brita pitcher filter the bottled spring water to the extent that a distiller would?
Well, those are all of the questions I have for the moment. Any suggestions or advice you can offer will be welcomed and greatly appreciated.