CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Diet for renal failure cat..help!

Lugolís Iodine Free S&H
J.Crowísģ Lugolís Iodine Solution. Restore lost reserves.

Good Riddance to
Hot Flashes and More!

Nutrient-rich, phyto-nutrient and antioxidant...

Original Dr. Hulda Clark
Hulda Clark Cleanses

Natural Cancer Remedies
Cancer-proof your body with little known immune boosters!

More
More
just_peachy Views: 1,735
Published: 18 years ago

This is a reply to # 73,643

Re: Diet for renal failure cat..help!

I listed a few helpful CRF sites in a post below. They should give you some idea of what you can and should be feeding her. As to actually getting her to eat it, you may want to try what I did for my cat when she stopped eating.

First, call her vet and ask about giving her electrolyte solution to help keep her from dehydrating. (Our vet actually suggested it.) If the vet says it would be helpful for your cat (after checking her bloodwork, etc) then stop by a pharmacy and pick up some NON-flavored electrolyte solution (like plain, unflavored Pedialyte.) It is imperative that it be the plain, non-flavored variety. It's usually found close to the diapers and baby formula. Clean filtered water can be used instead, but I prefer the electrolytes, she seemed to do so much better with them.

While at the pharmacy, ask the pharmacist for a handful of 10cc ORAL solution syringes, they should give them to you for free, or for something like .10 a piece - very cheap.

In a blender, mix her suggested diet/canned food equally with the electrolyte solution - I mixed hers about 1/2 cup of solution to 2.25 oz (about 1/2 of a 5.5 oz can) of food. Blend very, very, very well, until about the consistency of a milkshake. Fill a syringe with the mixture and attempt to feed her by giving her 1/2cc at a time. VERY IMPORTANT! Feed her from the SIDE of her mouth, NOT the front and aim at the pocket on the opposite SIDE of her mouth! Do *NOT* shoot the mixture directly down her throat, it could choke her or end up in her lungs!

Try to feed her at the very least one complete slurry mix a day, preferably much more if she's not eating anything else, broken up into feedings about every 3 hours. Being home more right now is a good thing for her, so try not to worry or fret too much about being unemployed when feeding her. Instead, talk to her and tell her how lucky you both are to be able to share these feedings together. You can worry later, they do pick up on our emotions.

At first, you may need to wrap her in a towel, then kneel on either side of the towel to feed her. I had to wrap my girl for every feeding for maybe a week, but she soon realized that she felt better after eating and would sit quietly on *her* towel on my lap during feedings. In fact, even though she's now eating on her own again, she's so spoiled by me feeding her that she still demands at least one syringe feeding a day! Actually, that works out well as I can make sure she gets her supplements and enzymes that way by adding them to the slurry in the syringe.

Hope you and Missy Pissy are doing better soon!

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

1.188 sec, (2)