CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: heartworms + surgery ??

Blueduck Views: 1,234
Published: 19 years ago

This is a reply to # 73,776

Re: heartworms + surgery ??

Get a scratching post and get her to use it. Rubbing catnip on it does help. We have three cats and believe it or not, none of them claw the furniture ! *LOL*..Well, it sounded good! Actually they do not claw the furniture too bad. I did have a cat years ago that shredded drapes and furniture too. I wrapped him in a big heavy blanket, got out one foot at a time and clipped ONLY the tips of his claws. I just clipped the front nails and not the dew claws. After a few months of doing this, he seemed to have forgotten to claw the furniture and it was no longer necessary to clip his nails. And yes he hated to have it done. I had new furniture at that time and there was no way I was getting rid of my lovely kitten so that is what I did. If you cat goes outside do NOT clip it's nails. It is almost the only defense cats have.

This may sound cruel but it does work and does not really harm the cat. Use a water filled squirt gun on her when she is using his claws in an inappropriate way. Do NOT say or word or make any sound when squirting him. You do not want him to associate the small blast of water with YOU. She will learn fast. Don't even see if she looks at you...after you squirt him, ignore her, do not make eye contact with her. I would get her a scratching post first, and get her onto it and then use the squirt gun. Using the squirt gun without a scratching post may just further irritate her. Most cats are easily irratated, ha ha ha.

Is she actually scratching you, or is she just "kneeding bread dough" on you ? Tell me more and I will try and help. I have had cats all my life and I am old.

Cats can learn !! Just have to not let them know that they are being taught. *S*

Hope this helps. I know it is awful to have a cat constantly clawing things.

Blueduck

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.com

0.531 sec, (1)