CureZone   Log On   Join
Since it sunk into the second page...

dragondawg Views: 2,629
Published: 17 years ago

This is a reply to # 74,255

Since it sunk into the second page...

The reality of the situation is that if a person subjects a pet to chemo, the pet will die.

Well of course it will. The goal of Chemo for our pets is to provide as high of quality of life in the remaining days as possible. The toxicity of the drugs is such that an attempted cure as in humans would be too toxic for the dog. Thus the dosage is decreased for dogs. No cure, but the goal is to get the cancer under control and give a good quality of life.

So your dog has been just diagnosed with Lymphoma. Option 1 you can avoid giving Chemo. The guaranteed outcome is a linear decline progression with inflammation, high latic acid build up (aches, lethargy), GI upsets and anorexia, fever etc. During this time tumors can appear in any organs. How about one popping out of the eyes? Can we say agony? At least for Lymphoma, if the choice is no Chemo (and that includes Prednisone), then you might as well put the dog to sleep immediately upon diagnosis.

But let's keep on going with the Blueduck post you referenced.

It may prolong the animal's agony.....that's about all.

Let me describe the agony of my Daisy dog when on Chemo be it the induction therapy or as maintenance treatments during the first remission. I would take her into the Oncologist's office. She would eagerly want to greet anyone walking by the waiting room. She would be taken into the back room for her treatment. I asked the local Vet that gave some of the treatments how she acted while they were dripping the Chemo into her. The reply: "Two of us work on her, and another just pets her, and she lays out on her side on the floor". No restraint, no tranquilizers needed. Coming out from the back she would be straining at the lead getting back to me, and act real squirrelly while I was settling the account. Now back home, she would sleep for a couple of hours until dinner. After being given a ton of supplements and supportive drugs to suppress any "possible" nausea - about 21 pills, she would gobble down her dinner, and go back to sleep. The next day was usually a Saturday, and the energy level during the first remission was always high. Early afternoon it was time for "dog patrol". Off to the pond 1 mile away we would walk through the woods with the neighbor's dog. No things weren't like they were before. I didn't let her swim 25 minutes continuously as she had done before becoming ill with the cancer. Instead it was just a 5-10 minute swim. Then back home, and a couple hours sleep before eating dinner again- 24 hours post Chemo. Sunday a like day. The weekdays did not differ any than prior to her illness. A short walk after I got home. She seemed to enjoy seeing one of her doggy friends along the way if they were out. The only change during weekdays was that before I had always kept her outside while at work in a 20X22 ft pen. With the cancer she stayed inside in a controlled temperature environment to avoid stress. A neighbor would stop by at noon to check on her. This is called agony???

This is the way things went for close to 9 months post diagnosis. I remember being out in public with her, and she was haming it up. Someone asked her age, and when I told them 10, they couldn't believe she wasn't 4. When I told them she had terminal cancer, their mouths flew open. Oh the agony the poor dog must have been in!

The last 3 months she felt more tired, but never missed a meal. In fact she gained 10 lbs over the course of her illness (80 --> 90 lbs). Agony?

The end came quickly. One moment she was playing in the yard, and 2 hours later she could hardly get up with a massive secondary infection. It was 24 hours later that I knew the time had come. I'll give you agony for the last 24 hours of her life, for both her and I. But up to that point she was content, and happy to be alive. I will always cherish the extra year I had with my baby dog.

It may prolong the animal's agony.....that's about all.

Now who else wants to lecture me on the evils and agony of giving Chemo to a Lymphoma dog?

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

0.780 sec, (2)