CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Nuts!

Prudence Views: 3,051
Published: 16 years ago

This is a reply to # 763,982

Re: Nuts!

Hi! I had a recent experience showing me just how much nuts can disturb one's digestive system after being raw for awhile. (I've also not had many nuts recently -- just haven't had the desire -- although when I began eating raw, I ate a LOT of soaked nuts.)

I had soaked an enormous bowl full of walnuts to make a few dehydrated things (which seems to completely ward off any PMS symptoms, for some reason), but I had a lot of leftover nuts. I started finding recipes using walnuts, and made several in one day. Of course, I had to taste them all -- walnut pate, a walnut cream topping for a carrot "cake," and Alook Paneer -- a raw version of my favorite Indian dish, saag paneer. I got violently ill that night! It was such a shock, because I haven't been sick once since going raw. Suddenly, not only was my stomach reacting, but I got a huge cold sore on my upper lip, and a respiratory illness set in. Of course, the respiratory illness is much milder than the version my non-raw friends are suffering with, but still... It was quite the lesson.

Anyway, as I said, I don't think there's anything wrong with nuts in the beginning of a raw food program. It really helps with the transition. Nut pate is good on nori rolls with chopped veggies and a spinach spread, or on celery. Nut butters make good spreads for raw tortillas. I have made my own nut butter with a Green Star, like Milena, but I found it easier just to buy it at the co-op, now that they carry raw.

About soaking times: I posted this list in another message, but I'll include it here, too. Soaking nuts is very important. I think Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" goes into the best explanation of the reasons for this, but it's not a raw food book by any means. Even at the beginning of my raw experience, I had trouble digesting unsoaked nuts. If you can, try to soak and dehydrate nuts fairly regularly, just to have some available when you need them, so you won't be tempted to eat unsoaked. :-)

Here's Gabriel Cousens' list of recommended soaking times for various types of nuts and seeds. It's from Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine. Hope it helps!

Almonds - soak 12 hours
Pecans - soak 1 to 2 hours
Walnuts - soak 1 to 2 hours
Macadamia, pine, and pistachios - do not soak
Hulled pupkin seeds - 4 hours
Hulled sunflower seeds - 4 hours
Sesame seeds - 4 hours
Flax seeds - 8 hours (creates a slimy consistency)
Hemp seeds - do not soak

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.com

0.633 sec, (2)