CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Some more concerns...

dragondawg Views: 1,243
Published: 14 years ago

This is a reply to # 824,261

Re: Some more concerns...

I'm in N.Carolina where the mosquitoes can come out just about any month. Just a couple of weeks ago it was in the 60s. So down here I have to give the heartworm medication year round. In your case giving it in the months it's warm enough for mosquitoes is the correct thing to do.

Expressing the anal glands is something I never caught onto. When you take the dog into the Vet to have them expressed, ask them to take a fecal sample to look for worms/eggs. You definitely do not need 2 trips.

The more tissue or weight in the rear end, the less force the dog has to express the glands. So weight can contribute to them plugging up. Diet of what goes in has little effect. It's how it comes out that's important, where a soft bowel movement does not create enough pressure on the anal glands to express them.

Basically large muscle/fat dogs tend to have the problem more than other dogs. My previous dog had a lot of anal gland problems. The current two- none.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

0.703 sec, (1)