CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: How do I slowly wean my son! HELP!! NEED ADVICE!! I AM A NEW MOTHER!! :)

Lugol’s Iodine Free S&H
J.Crow’s® Lugol’s Iodine Solution. Restore lost reserves.

Eliminate Parasites Fast and Easy
One of the most powerful aids in helping the body el...

New lower prices!
Hulda Clark Cleanses

Google Advertisement
Google Advertisement
onthejourney Views: 2,132
Published: 14 years ago

This is a reply to # 829,511

Re: How do I slowly wean my son! HELP!! NEED ADVICE!! I AM A NEW MOTHER!! :)

You are absolutely doing the right thing by following your feelings about your child still needing to breastfeed. The AAP says breastfeeding for at least a year and thereafter what is wanted by mother and baby. However, the World Health Organization says they recommend breastfeeding fo 2 years and then thereafter what is wanted by mother and baby. In many places around the world, breastfeeding toddlers is viewed as normal. People who think that there is something wrong with this likely have not been around lots of breastfeeding mothers and children and I think them to be a little obtuse! You do not have to put any time limits on it and if you do and change your mind that' okay too. You may get to 2 and decide that there is still a need. There are some babies who break their mothers heart by deciding to wean on theit own at 13-14 months. Best to watch your baby and you will know when it is time to move on.

Breastfeeding in the 2nd year has many benefits. The breastmilk has many protective effects of keeping baby from getting sick. It ensures that your toddler, who seems to eat nothing, is still getting plenty of good nutrition. The IQ thing is cumulative so longer breastfeeding = smarter child. It provides the child with the physical and emotional comfort they need to become secure individuals. (I always wonder what mothers do to comfort their small child when they don't breastfeed. It's like having a broken magic wand!) Also the protection breastfeeding provides against Breast Cancer for women is cumulative as well.

Weaning starts the moment when you first begin introducing solids. When the time comes, many mothers begin dropping the least missed or important feeding and so it starts to happen naturally that the child will begin eating more food. Then you drop the next one and so on and so forth. It can help to also set restrictions like no nursing in certain places. As terrible as it is that some people view nursing an older baby as "weird", you will get to a point where your toddler may be trying to stand on his head while nursing and this is where the rule normally comes in. You may also decide to adopt the no nursing till sunlight rule. Many moms also follow the don't offer don't refuse rule. And it can be helpful to avoid sitting in down in places where you normally nurse. Kids are smart, you may be trying to wean and your toddler sees you on the phone sitting down. Knowing you will oblige to keep him quiet, there he goes!

Anyway, it doesn't sound like you are there yet. So until then, happy nursing. Your son is blessed to have a mamma who can follow her good instincts about what is right for him.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.com

3.391 sec, (2)