CureZone   Log On   Join
 

Garlic may be part of problem...PLEASE READ! by KarenMarie ..... Animals & Pets Health Support

Date:   9/16/2003 6:40:48 AM ( 18 years ago ago)
Hits:   1,378
URL:   https://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=73696

Hi,

My heart goes out to Jack, you and your family.

My shepherd is my little baby and I try to do everything just right for him.

I started a while back giving him garlic in his food (per Richard Schulze ). He became listless and seemed depressed. My husband and I saw a television show years ago that said never to give dogs onions, as they are very toxic to them.

Fortunately my husband pointed out that garlic is from the onion family and searched the internet and found the following info (note anemia):

*****
Onions or Garlic. Dogs and cats lack the enzyme necessary to properly digest onions and this could result in gas, vomiting, diarrhea or severe gastrointestinal distress. If large amounts of onion or garlic are ingested or onions are a daily part of your dog's diet, the red blood cells may become fragile and break apart. This is due to the toxic ingredient in onions and garlic, thiosulphate. Signs can begin immediately after eating the onion or a few days later. Large quantities of garlic need to be ingested before signs of toxicity are seen. Severe anemias and even death can occur if the dog ingests lots of onions or garlic and receives no treatment.
All forms of onion and garlic are a problem. This includes raw, dehydrated, cooked, powders or those in foods. The most common source of onions for cats is in human baby food. Some baby foods have onion powder added for taste. When consistently fed baby food with added onion powder, signs of toxicity can develop. Many people use garlic pills as 'natural' flea control. The amount of garlic is low but if large amounts of the pills are ingested at one time, toxicity may occur.
*****

Here's the link:
http://www.petplace.com/Articles/artShow.asp?artID=4773


Days after I took Andy off the garlic he perked up.

This was a good lesson on doing your research before taking certain actions.

Also, don't listen to your vet about putting Jack down! It is ridiculous of him to advise this as he sees him for 10 minutes at a time and you know him inside and out. Only do this if you know deep in your heart that it is the right thing to do!

Remember: YOU KNOW JACK!!!

I hope Jack is back around soon!

Sending lots of love and blessings,
KarenMarie

p.s. Get the book: "Holistic Guide for a Healthy Pet"
Another good one is "Natural Remedies for Dogs and Cats"
 

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.09 sec, referred by curezone.com/forums/fmp.asp?i=73696