CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Fecal Transplant

Lugol’s Iodine Free S&H
J.Crow’s® Lugol’s Iodine Solution. Restore lost reserves.

Free Remineralizing Tooth Powder!
Make your own Organic, Tasty, and Effective, Fluorid...

Google Advertisement
Google Advertisement
indigoaura Views: 17,587
Published: 13 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,873,329

Re: Fecal Transplant

Right I've seen this story, but I'm still not clear on how you are connecting the strong presence of these bacteria excreted by the body to good health and something we want to colonize in our gut. How do we know the immune system is not eliminating these guys and that's why they show up in large numbers in the feces? Here's an article linking two of those bacteria strains to ulcerative colitis. The story says, "The investigation revealed an abundance of sequences from Bacteroides spp. and Prevotella spp. in the mucosal tissue of patients with UC compared with individuals showing no signs of disease."

Heres the link: http://jmm.sgmjournals.org/content/55/5/617.full

Please be patient with my questions as I am really trying to grasp all the excellent info and open minded posts on this forum. :-)

Prevalence of Bacteroides and Prevotella spp. in ulcerative colitis
Katja Lucke1, Stephan Miehlke2, Enno Jacobs3 and Markus Schuppler4
+ Author Affiliations

1Institute of Medical Microbiology, Canton Hospital Luzern, Switzerland
2Medical Department I, University Hospital Dresden, Germany
3Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, Technical University Dresden, Germany
4Laboratory of Food Microbiology, Institute of Food Science and Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, ETH Center LFV B21, Schmelzbergstrasse 7, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Correspondence
Markus Schuppler
Markus.Schuppler@ilw.agrl.ethz.ch
Received 10 June 2005.
Accepted 28 December 2005.

Next Section
Abstract

The resident bacterial flora of the large intestine has become increasingly recognized as an essential component in the pathogenesis of ulcerative colitis (UC). However, it is still not known whether the bacterial flora in general or certain bacterial species of the intestinal microbial flora contribute to the pathogenesis of the disease. In order to investigate the composition of the mucosa-associated microbial flora in UC, mucosal tissue samples from patients with active UC and from control subjects with non-inflammatory conditions were analysed and compared. To cover the whole spectrum of intestinal bacteria and to circumvent the known bias introduced by culture-based techniques, comparative 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis was used to determine the bacterial composition in the mucosal tissue samples. The investigation revealed an abundance of sequences from Bacteroides spp. and Prevotella spp. in the mucosal tissue of patients with UC compared with individuals showing no signs of disease. The higher incidence of populations of members of the Bacteroidetes in UC suggests that these may have an influence on the pathogenesis of the disease.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  curezone.com

0.221 sec, (2)